Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I Love Duluth




I just got back from a morning ski on my local trail. It is 5 minutes by car and the skiing is beautiful. The temperature is perfect (about +15) and the snow nice and groomed. I am classical skiing as I rehab my shoulder and build my cardio base, but hope to skate more in future winters. This has been a perfect winter, with plenty of snow and cold. Maybe a bit too much cold at times but you can't have everything. The trail overlooks a favorite whitewater river (the Lester) and as I stopped to rest above the rapid and waterfall named Naked Man I looked at the ski tracks going directly up the river. I have only skied one river this winter (the French) and hope to get a few more in before the thaw. I could see, from 30 feet above, the ice over the steepest spot on the falls and the water rushing beneath that ice. Pure magic.
t


No comments: