Friday, May 7, 2010

Financial Heaven

Turns out A "Financial Fast" is heaven for me.  It is done, and I loved it.  I loved not spending money, I loved not shopping, window shopping, or even thinking about shopping.  I have been anti-shopping for most of my adult life, and I like it fine that way.  Not that I don't go on the occasional spending spree or have my spending weaknesses, but overall I do just fine without it.  It gave me fewer things to think about and make decisions about.  I like not spending and also saving.  We saved a ton of money, I do not even know how much yet, but it was close to $1000.  Some of that was selling off unused stuff, some of it was extra work, and some of it was just stopping all spending for 21 days.  Of course that last one will result in some extra spending as we get back to it, just not too much I hope.

So, we fasted.  And we cleaned.  Or actually we cleared.  Cleaning will come next.  But we are still finishing up the clearing.  Wow can a tiny house hold loads of junk.  LOADS.  More on that another time.  There are a few things left in the Fast.  We are following the next step by writing down all of our purchases for the next month, down to the gumball.  I need to balance our accounts for last month, and tweek the system so we can keep track in real time, rather than ignoring finances until they shout to be heard.  I need to pass the book on so it can be used by another (and another, and another).  I have a dream of leading a group of folks in a Financial fast next year, and then leading Financial Peace University, too.  It is a very good thing, and would be fun to lead and hear other peoples experiences.  Since I am an avid NPR listener I do feel a bit guilty since I am doing nothing to help the economy right now, but that is really just a great rationalization for unnecessary spending anyways.  I always like a good rationalization.   

Unfortunately my whole life is not heaven at the moment, but at least I have one little corner of it.

Peace Out.

2 comments:

Asirek said...

Way to go!Financial Peace University (FPU) sounds great, and if anybody can do it, you can. Congrats on accomplishing your financial fast and good luck on your continued clearing and cleaning!!

Kristin said...

Beth - you've inspired me! I can't believe where our money goes. I am going to 'fast' for a month and 'purge' my system of needing more stuff. We'll see you in July for the reunion!