Thursday, April 8, 2010

Half Assed Running

Went for a run this morning.  I really did not want to, and am really glad that I did.  I did not get out much over the last two weeks, so my motivation has dropped and the whine factor increased.  That always happens to me when I get out of my routine.  It becomes painful to think about spending my energy working out, and that means I have slipped into the danger zone.  Fortunately I have a good base now, so I can get back into the swing of things pretty easily.  It wasn't always that way. 

It all started back in January '06 when I had my upcoming 20th class reunion.  I was feeling a bit out of shape due to baby poundage and no working out at all.  I switched my work routine and determined that if I was to survive working seven days in a row consistently I would need to build in stress relief.  I got a gym membership where I work and started going three of those seven days, just before work, so it was all quite smooth.  I got extra time to myself (Alex was two) and extra endorphins.  Oh how I need endorphins, and I will even take them from an indoor track if I have to.  I prefer my kayak, or rock climbing, or mountain biking, but those take either loads of time, or a specific time of year, or both.  So I went with the always available gym and was able to stick with it.  Well, the reunion came summer '06 and I felt pretty fit, which was nice.  And I was hooked on workouts, so I just kept it up.  Summer '07 I decided I should be able to run a 5km race.  I had mostly been lifting weighs up to that point, with a little warm up run of 10 minutes 3 times a week.  Since a 5 km takes about 30 minutes I figured I was already ready.  Well, I ran the race and got my ass kicked all over the place.  Mostly by me.  I thought I could go really fast and almost killed myself.  My sprint lasted about 3 minutes, and the next 30 were walking, limping, and then slowly running with an inspiring friend.  I made it, and ate my humble pie at the finish.  Then I got pissed, at myself, and decided to do something totally radical that I had never done before in my 30 odd years... train.  Actually train and practice for something.  I had always been more of a jump-in-and-do-it kind of a gal.  No wonder I never made it to the pros.  Oh well.  So, I started training for running, at a pace I could manage.  I ran so slowly at first that the walkers on the track would pass me.  That was embarrassing but I kept at it.  The endorphins kept me going, and I made slow gains.  Very slow.   But gains none the less.  I was running three times a week for 30 minutes a session.   I was not making the mileage because I ran so slow, but I decided on time as my main focus.  I didn't always make my 3 times a week, but when I hit it I felt really good.  And by the next spring ('08) I did indeed complete my first fully running 5km.  At the back, but I didn't walk, or almost kill myself.   I actually completed three races that year, two 5km and a 10km.  I decided that for general fitness I would like to participate in four races a year.  One per season.  Three running and one cross country skiing.   I haven't made the skiing race yet, hopefully next year.  I will race the Mother's Day Breast Cancer race in May if I am not working.  Or I will find another one.

The races are a riot.  Who knew??  All those runners aren't just crazy or stupid, as I always assumed.  There is a great energy out there at the races, and competition where I seed is minimal, we all just cheer each other on.  Gives me a nice training motivation too.  I have bumped up my program goal to 45 minutes of running, three times a week.  I have not hit it lately, but will get there soon.  It gives me so much energy, and cuts down on my whining so much, that I just have to do it.  Plus it gets me outside and enjoying the unfolding seasons. 

So, I didn't want to run, but off I went.  Glad I did, and gotta keep it up.  The endorphins are calling my name.

No comments: