Friday, March 12, 2010

Money Honey

WARNING:  Much X Rated Adult material about that most naked of subjects....Finance.  Read at your own peril, this is a bare all kind of discussion. 


I have been the world's worst money manager.  Thank goodness I was given a lot in my lifetime, or I would have been forced to turn to prostitution, drug dealing, or cat burglary.  I traveled all those years ago on a surprise inheritance, not on any super savvy money ethic of my own.  I never even had a job until after my sophomore year in college.  Every big trip I ever took was either a gift, or a gift.  I'd like to believe I earned those trips through charm and being a good person, but that is more bull shit than I can handle.  Just damn lucky I guess.

Not to say I haven't gotten better over time.   I actually have worked for a living for many years now.  I don't bounce checks or use an overdraft "line of credit" or pile up interest that I never tally anymore.  My hubby and I settled in a reasonable town, bought a super cheap house, and almost live within our means, including supporting a munchkin.  I've gotten better, but am about to take it to the next level.

Total Money Makeover.  I started this process back 2002.  We started using cash for all the little stuff and got on the "envelope system" to make that work.  We stopped using credit, and Kevin shot the last credit card back in 2007.  We have Health Insurance, Life Insurance, and are close to a real will.  Now we are about to take our Tax refunds and jump into the deep end of the pool.  Spend it all by paying off ALL of our personal debts, including my student loan.  Start building a real emergency fund (aiming at $12,000), and see how fast we can do it.  Then we really get into the nitty gritty of The Plan from there.  We are selling things off, tightening our belts, and finding ways to increase our income.  We will be having a big garage sale in May.  All big purchases, all the "I wants" are on hold.  The truck is gone as of yesterday.  The scooter sold last month.  We are again a one car family, and will stay that way until our budget stabilizes.    We are officially nuts, and this is fun.

No really, I swear.  This is fun!  I am so excited and pumped.  The thought of money no longer makes me nauseous.  I work my budgeting sheets into the dark of night, because I WANT to.  I am finally figuring out things that were a total mystery to me.  Like how compound interest works, and what the heck a "nest egg" really is.  Perhaps the strangest thing is the thought of working is also exciting.  Weird, but true. 

I am off and running.  There is more to ramble on about, but this is a good start.  I dream of teaching a class on finance in a year or so.  Just a little one, no new degree needed.  For now I will head off to work to see my peeps.  Especially those who have already joined me in the She Woman Debt Haters Club that was formed a few years back.  Ciao.

1 comment:

Amicus said...

Awesome!! Totally inspiring! I have changed the way I live after seeing your shot up credit card mounted to the wall. I'm still making mistakes though...grrr.

BTW you are a great writer!