Monday, March 15, 2010

It Really Happened


I still can't quite believe that Kevin and I went to Jamaica.  An amazing late winter trip, just us, while our son stayed home in Minnesota and went to school.  One of the perks of being an adult I suppose.  It was a truly incredible trip, from the frozen North to a tropical paradise.  We stayed at a resort just for couples that was "all inclusive".  No need for money while there, not for the activities or the abundant and delicious food and drinks, or even the top notch service.  I felt like a princess.  And it was like a time machine back to dating.  All exterior pressures were on hold for one glorious week.  We missed our son like crazy, and I don't know that we can ever leave him behind like that again, but it was a nice bit of heaven.  Here are a few pics to start the story, I will post more as I get them processed and ordered.
It turned out to be windy for the entire time we were there, so we took advantage of the waves and learned to boogie board.  It was fun, and exhilarating, exhausting, and a pure riot.  We got out once or twice almost every day.


We were on the western tip of Jamaica, along a beautiful beach, at a resort called Couples Negril.  I have never stayed at such a place.  More of a Low Budget kind of traveler, this was a style that was not difficult to get used to.  The Jamaican staff were lovely and perfect, the food to die for, and the resort itself was built into the site like a residence in  the Garden of Eden.  Every need was anticipated, from food to drink, to entertainment, to down time.  We feasted and experimented.  I ate curried goat and smoked marlin.... both delicious.  Sorry PETA, I have really surrendered my card now.


Oh yeah, and there was this guy I used to know.  I think I married him awhile back, but with the pressures of child raising, Autism, business, house holding, day jobs, infertility, and a generally wild schedule our marriage had been on the back burner for quite awhile.  This trip was the Honeymoon we never had, and the 10 wedding anniversary trip we didn't take.  We have been married over 11 years now, and this retreat together was fully appreciated and celebrated.  


And like a fairy tale.  A resort to tend to all of our needs, built like a palace, filled with interesting people.  I was not sure what the guests would be like, and they were super.  Many other appreciative folks, taking a break from their busy schedules and enjoying a bit of paradise.  The staff were great too, and having worked in the tourism and guest services industries, including house keeping, I did not feel too bad taking advantage of their hard work and expert attention.  I was a bit like non-stop theater, with the staff as the actors and the guests as the interactive audience.  It was a well directed and well  preformed, Broadway quality for sure.  

More to come....

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Oh Beth - what a wonderful time. It's amazing how we lose site of our partners in the daily grind. I'm so happy that you got this experience. Love to you both!