Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hibernation

It's not that I don't like winter.  I do.  I really do.  I get excited to ski the trails, skate the ponds, and hike the rivers.   I love to hear water under ice, watch gorgeous individual snow flakes, feel frozen air hit my lungs at 20 below.  I love to snowshoe in silent woods and sled the deserted golf courses.  When it is winter the world outside is yours.

When it is 40 degrees, and raining, and dark, I just want to go to bed.  And stay there.  At this time of year it is cold and miserable.  The trails are mud, the clouds are grey, and the sun gets up late and goes to bed early.  And so do I.  This is the Achillies heel of my outdoor year, perhaps of the whole Northland.  As the joy of the harvest goes past, and the last brilliant days are wrung out, the darkening of the year begins.

Maybe I should take my cue from the bears.  Hibernate for real.  Give Christmas a miss and hang a sign on the door, "See you next Spring!".   The cat wouldn't mind.  I'd have to put the feather bed on, to match the down comforter.  Usually I wait until the first real cold snap.  Instead I can snuggle in now, and dream away the months.   Maybe this year I'll do it, I've had the impulse before.

Yeah, it's not that I don't like winter, I just do not like the build up to get there.   I guess I'll just throw in a good movie, drink some tea, and wait, wait, wait for the snow....

3 comments:

Kerisa said...

so Morose this posting is! Though I agree 'tis a difficult road to get to winter with the darkening grey skies, but there is beauty to be seen to. The leaves are amazing, the sky is a brilliant blue, you can hike (or run) without getting overheated OR too cold, and the expectation of what lies ahead. So, get out of hibernation, turn up the heat and eat some chocolate!

Beth Up North said...

Guess I should put my big girl jeans on and get out there. Chocolate??

Kerisa said...

Chocolate cures everything except insomnia.