Monday, April 21, 2008

The Day Hath Arrived

Well, here it is. The official first entry of my grandly opened blog. If I knew how, I would string up some of those plastic flags and put up a few giant balloons, like at a car dealership. To blog, a conversation with the world. It is not like I have all that much to say, or that I think people really want to listen to me. It is more that, if I could, I would pack up my little family for about three months of every year to go visit all of the fantastic people of our lives. I used to travel quite a bit, and I loved it. I thought nothing of taking off after a job or schooling finished and visiting where ever for extended periods. I was probably a bit of a nightmare for some. I routinely would show up unexpected places, unannounced. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just barely knew where I was headed and was willing to follow my wild hairs. I tried to be a good guest, and even wrote up a poster for friends in Vail with the House Pest rules. And it was not just traveling around when I had time off, I also moved quite a bit. Well, 21 times between ages 20 and 30, to be exact. For years it was just me, and my truck, or kayak, or mountain bike. I had a lot of fun in those days, and the best part was connecting with people, both new and old to my life. Of course I was always keeping my eye out for that someone special too. And someplace special to land. Amazingly I found both, and here I am today, in Duluth. The only problem with my chosen home is it's proximity to the ends of the earth. If a friend does not already live near Duluth, they will not be casually dropping by on their way to anywhere. Family makes a concerted effort to get here, and there is never enough time. And so, that leads us back to this blog. Since I am limited in my ability to road trip just now, this seems the next best thing to dropping in unannounced. And now that there is a little one in my life, to love and help grow, I want to share his story too. And the big guy too, of course. So read on, if you wish, and thanks for stopping by. I'll try to keep it interesting, and even amusing at times. Let me know what you think!
Cheers,
Beth.

No comments: