Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Temple Part 1

So, I got in to see the sold out Temple Grandin lecture.  It was sooo cool.  I thought it might not be, since I have read several of her books and seen many interviews, and figured it might be old hat.  No way.  She was engaging and interesting, and had a ton to say.  Her focus in the lecture was on Autism, but she threw in a little animal science as well.  A friend asked if she is the possibility, or the exception, and I say possibility.  If this sounds like Greek, let me explain.  Temple Grandin is an adult with autism.  She is also a Ph D, is very respected in her field, and has written almost a dozen books.  She is internationally known for both Animal Science, and as an Autism advocate.  Her story is fascinating, with a different family she may have ended up in an institution back in the Fifties.  She did not speak until she was three, and had serious behavioral problems.  As an adult she presents as extremely unique, but also down to earth and very funny with a dry sense of humor.  I say she is the "possibility", because she proves that unique individuals, who do not swim in the main stream, can make it in the real world as adults. 

Two of her key points for autistic individuals were: develop your strengths, and sell your work, not yourself.  She also made many minor points, including being held to real world standards, developing an experience and work history, and persisting in a challenging society.  My   favorite line was when she was asked about options for schooling for kids on she spectrum she quipped, "Socializing with teen-agers is not a life skill I needed."  She referred several times to raising kids with autism, and said that you need to "stretch" them so they experience much of the world. 

There is much more to say, but my son needs his earned computer time, so I will post Part 1 now.

No comments: